Friday, February 18, 2011

Book Report

OK, so I promised a book report on all of the books I ordered from Borders last month -I already gave my take on the first book I read, The 5 Love Languages so here's my take on the second book I finished....Time Out -Soul Talk for Stay-At-Home Moms by Vera Nicholas-Gervais. You can probably gather (from the title) that this is a book about and for Stay-At-Home Moms. It's a very light hearted read -as she's boldly honest about her feelings about being at SAHM (stay at home mom). So honest and true-in fact, that at times, I found myself feeling like I was reading my own journal rather than a book. I have had some of the same exact feelings and thoughts the author depicts in this book. Thoughts and feelings that I thought to be abnormal or shameful but come to find out apparently all SAHM's have. From the book.....

If I Had My Child To Raise Again

IF I had my child to raise over again,

I 'd finger-paint more and point my finger less.

I 'd take off my watch, and watch with my eyes,

I'd take more hikes and fly more kites,

I'd stop playing serious, and seriously play.

I'd do more hugging and less tugging.

I'd be firm less often, and affirm much more....

If I had my child to raise over again,

I'd teach less about the love of power,

and more about the power of love.

-from www.mommiesontheweb.com (author unknown)

Also more of the same from the book....

This Is A Home Where Children Live

You may not find things all in place,

Friend, when you enter here. But we're a home where children live, We hold them very dear.

And you may find small fingerprints and smudges on the wall. When the kids are gone, we'll clean them up. Right now we're playing ball.

For there's one thing of which we're sure, These children are on loan. One day they're always, underfoot, Next thing you know, they're gone.

That's when we'll have a well-kept house, When they're off on their own, Right now, this is where children live, A loved and lived in home.

Also -Anybody can become angry-that is easy-but to be angry with the right person, and to the right degree, and at the right time, and for the right purpose, and in the right way-that is not within everybody's power and is not easy. -Aristotle.

The book has many different quotes and poems that relate to what the author writes about. She discusses nearly everything a SAHM experiences.

Having to be your child's/husbands maid -cleaning up after everyone only to have to turn around and clean up the same exact thing moments later.

She discusses depression.

Losing one's sense of self and connectivity to the world outside of home

Being bored with being at home with children who can't speak yet or only speak in half sentences.

Feeling belittled unappreciated, and misunderstood by others.

The list goes on and on. It was a good read. It's not really filled with any useful or profound knowledge that I like to get from my reading material but it was entertaining and extremely honest. I enjoyed it and may recommend it to SAHM's who need to feel understood and valued but won't recommend this read to just anyone. Unless it is solely for entertainment purposes. It reminded me a lot of a book I read when I was pregnant by Jenny McCarthy....Belly Laughs. Honest, funny, lighthearted, entertaining, but that's it...that's all. I want something more from my books. I take the time out of my life to read something it better REALLY entertain or REALLY teach me something. This did neither. So I would give it only one thumb up (not worthy of two).

No comments: