 |
| My two boys headed into their school for Open House |
 |
| Lane visiting his classroom for the first time |
 |
| posing for pictures |
 |
| Enjoyed the booknook the most |
 |
| Loved reading the No! David book |
 |
| Boys looking at bunnies in the yard |
 |
| I just can not believe this kid is a 2nd grader! |
 |
| And if I must say....a CUTE 2nd grader at that |
 |
| Posing in front of the school bus. Per their mama's request |
 |
| I adore this picture! |
 |
| first day of school 2015 |
 |
| hugs for his little brother |
 |
| bunny ears |
 |
| Lane always gives me dandelions and this one was extra special |
 |
| waiting on the bus |
 |
| hugs for his dog |
 |
| And.....they're off (without incident) |
 |
| seemed excited and ready to roll |
 |
| Grant was so sweet with Lane- made sure to hold his hand and guide him onto the bus |
 |
| after returning home- Day 1 (he couldn't have gotten off that bus any faster-no posing for pictures he was DONE) |
 |
| balloons and a goodie bag was waiting for him when he returned home |
 |
| Day 2 -trying to lock himself in the door so he would miss the bus and not have to go to school |
 |
| This is him trying to dart away when he heard the bus pull up |
 |
| I am so thankful to Aiden and Grant for comforting Lane and helping him through his first week of school |



I did everything I thought possible to make sure I prepared
Lane for his first day of Pre-K. Read books, had discussions, make a countdown
chain, excitedly bought school supplies and new school shoes. Beings
that he has never had to deal with separation from me before now I knew and
anticipated it to be difficult for us both. Has mentioned, we created a paper chain to count down the
days until his first day of school which worked incredibly well until the night
before school started. He simply refused to pull off the last link. He said,
"no, I don't want to pull that one off because if I do that then I have to
go to school tomorrow and I don't want to -I am not going to go." I knew
then we may have more of a separation problem than I had anticipated. He woke
the next day somewhat excited and ready to go. He mentioned a few times that he
was scared and his tummy hurt but honestly the morning went really well. Jason
stayed home long enough to watch the boys get on the bus. He held hands with
Grant and climbed right up the steps to the big bus and off he went. The entire
morning I spent worried about what he was doing, what he was thinking, if he
was scared or feeling lost. I went to town to gather some things to put into
his goodie bag I told him I would have waiting for him when he returned home.
At a bit after 11 I went outside and sat on the porch swing with my camera in
hand. I was ready to capture his sweet little "I am so proud of
myself" smile but when the bus pulled up at the edge of the sidewalk and I
saw his face I knew I wasn't going to get any smile what-so-ever. I asked him
how he liked school and he didn't say a word. Mason informed me that Lane had
cried while at school. A few moments later I checked my phone to see that his
teacher, Miss Elisha had left me a message to inform me that Lane had a tough
first day and cried at the beginning and the end of the day. She told me that
she thinks he was just full of nerves and she thinks he will love it once he
gets comfortable. I told myself that tomorrow would be better (knowing full
well that it would likely not be) and boy was it NOT! The next morning he
started in right away at 6:30am. "Mom, I don't want to go to school."
"My tummy hurts, I am sick, you won't send me to school if I am
sick." "Mommy, please can I just stay here with you? I love you.
Don't you love me?" (All while holding my face in his sweet little hands)
"Mom, I am just not ready for school. I am not old enough yet"
"Mom, please!" "Fine, I'm going to lock myself inside then I
will miss the bus and won't have to go to school." Ugh! It was awful I
tell ya, just awful. Seriously the most heartbreak and gut wrenching thing I
have had to experience as a mother in a long time if not ever! It was breaking
my heart. I knew he had to go and I couldn't give into his pleas not even a
little bit or I'd have an even bigger mess to deal with. But I also wanted to
rescue him and save him from his fears and insecurities. Up until now I have
always been that person to him- someone who "saves the day" and makes
things better for him. Someone who has provided him with protection and
security and now I am sending this sweet little (horribly frightened) little
boy off into the great big world to fend for himself. Sure, I know he is in
great hands with his teachers at school and yes, I know millions of mamas
across the country are doing the same with their little babies on the first day
of school but it's just so heartbreaking to see his little tears in his eyes
and the look of total fear knowing you can do little to repair it. I, of course
encouraged him and told him that everyone is nervous at first but after a while
his tummy won't hurt anymore and he will get comfortable there- make new
friends- make new fun and ultimately love school. I tried to remind him of all
the fun toys and books we saw in his classroom at open house. I reminded him
that he had his big brother there with him on the ride to school and Mason
would be a friend to him in the classroom. I told him how proud I was of him
and how much I truly love him and explained to him that not going to school is
not and will not be an option. I praised him for being brave and being such a
"big boy" but nothing seemed to ease his worries or calm him. The
time came that morning for him to get on the bus I was fully expecting him to
come running back to me clinging to my leg but he surprised me and took Grant
and Aiden's hand and reluctantly got on
the bus. I was a mess after he left-I broke down and had a good cry fest
myself. I of course flooded God with prayers and tried to keep occupied so I
wouldn't think about him there at school crying his eyes out. It was useless
though- ALL I COULD THINK ABOUT WAS HIM! I was heartbroken and worried. I kept
trying to tell myself that this couldn't last forever, it's just a transition
period, in the grand scheme of life this is not that serious and it will all be
over soon but I had an inkling in the back of my mind "what if it's not a
phase what if this lasts months?" I couldn't do it. I was two days in and
I was exhausted, frustrated, and sooooo over it. The next day was the same
thing pleading to not have to go, getting on the bus only to cry at school
again (I know because his teacher kept me posted) but at last it was FRIDAY and
he didn't ask me once to stay home -he didn't act reluctant to get on the bus
and when he returned from school I got a note from his teacher that he hadn't
cried. We had done it! We had lived through the first week of PRE-K!
No comments:
Post a Comment