Monday, September 3, 2012

Month in Review

 Sporting the poo kickers for the Miranda Lambert concert at the Illinois State Fair. I missed those boots. It's been a long time since I had worn them out and there is just something about cowboy boots that is just FUN!
 Me and Jay waiting for the concert to start
 Me with my lady friends at the concert-we had a great time
 Me with my girl Amy
 Grant at his dentist- for a checkup -such a big boy
 Thumbs up -no cavities again!
 The boys cruising in the truck. So cute to watch....
 Even more cute from the back
 Lane loves to play in the fridge and this time he found the whipped cream can.
 YES!!! Score!!!! -Whipped Cream!!!
 He's so happy
 Playing with Grant's toys while he's away at school
 Haha -"The toy you wouldn't let me play with earlier is now ALL MINE"
 Grant's first day of school . Second year pre-k
 Grant insisted I take a picture of his Avengers Backpack
 Slinging Webs
 Sidewalk chalk
Getting off the bus after day one of 2012-2013 school year.

We started off the month with a trip to Six Flags (which I already blogged about in a previous post) then the following week we attended the infamous Chapin Big Country Days. Grant enjoyed watching some of his classmates particpate in the Little Miss/ Little Mister Pagaent and playing I DOOD IT.  The following day we met up with Vicki and Mallory at the parade.  Ah-Chapin Big Country Days -always exciting. :)

As you saw from the above pictures, a few weeks ago, Jason and I went to the Miranda Lambert concert at the State Fair with some friends. It was so nice to get out -without the kids. I feel I do this quite often -as I have my bestie whom I spend a significant about of time out- of- the- house with but often times we don't get "couples time" so it was refreshing and fun.  Miranda has so many songs that we know and could sing along with and the weather was absolutely perfect for a concert. Not too hot-or cold and not rainy or nasty out. Perfect. It made me feel both young and old all at the same time. I felt old because everywhere I looked there was some teeny bopper looking kid but also felt young again too because we were free of kids and with each other and good -fun couples so it was a mixed bag.  I, for one for sure had a great time and I am pretty certain Jay did too. He's so much fun to hang out with -it's times out like these that I reminded of how truely lucky I am to have someone so like me and so fun to spend life with. I heart Jason Fricke! (I know, I know, some of you reading this may want to grab the nearest trashcan to vomit in and its too much for you but it's the truth and actually I spare you a lot of this mush nearly every time I blog so cut me some slack) Definitely want to do that again next year as it was a great time.

The following week my daycare kiddos headed back to school. Although it was a very laid back summer for me and I hardly ever had a "full house" it is nice to have them return to their normal school schedule. I am able to get a lot more done during the daytime.  Although I still have Lane all day and Grant for part of the day -I still have found that my to-do list is shorter now.

Grant started his first day of school last week. 2nd year Pre-K. My, the difference a year makes. Last year I was so extremely nervous and anxious for him and this year he was so ready to go back that it made me very relaxed and cavalier about it. I hope he has just as good of a school year as last year. He did amazing last year -I just hope for the same of that good stuff this time around.

This past week end we went to Colchester to Argyle flea market. We met up with my family for some good ole camping fun (minus the camping because we drove home instead of stayed). Grant enjoyed pizzas and smores made by campfire and running around in the wide open spaces.  He also found some goodies at the flea market. It was a good time but I would like to get the real affect next year as this year apparently wasn't the year to go because of the weather.  Flea markets, antique shops, garage sales, and craft shows are right up my alley -I am so IN for checking it out again next year. Another thing we did over the weekend was watch the rain fall. Seriously-we literally watched it rain.  It's been so long since we have gotten any signifant rainfall and to think just this weekend alone we got almost 5 inches is amazing.  It's remarkable how much different our yard looks now. It hasn't been this green since late April-it's so nice to see GREEN grass again and not that lifeless, brown, crunchy stuff.  Although that does mean we will have to fire up the mower again. Which doesn't bother me much as I love to mow and have missed it immensely this summer.  Rain and green grass also means more of a likelihood that I will get to have my annual weiner roast this year. We considered calling it off because of the dangerously dry conditions (heaven for bid we set the freakin yard/house on fire)...but now that things are greener and heathlier we may be able to pull it off. Back to this weekend-sorry.

Speaking of healthier....I am feeling just that. Jason and I both completed our goal of 90 days straight of working out. What an accomplishment it was for us. I am very proud of us both for being able to pull it off and not skipping a day or slacking what-so-ever. Ohhh and we're not done yet. There's more where that came from-right after our week long break we are back on the wagon.  Even more excited this time around.
 So what have the boys been up to lately you ask? Well, Grant is still into Cardinals baseball and literally drops everything when they are on TV. I have never seen a kid his age so interested in watching baseball on tv. He gets so invovled too. It's fun to watch but at times it's unnerving how very upset he gets about his team not doing so well.  He's also gotten into pre-season football-so with baseball and football on the tube 24/7 I may have to resort to a good book or something.  He's also SOOOOO excited to be back at school and was actually disappointed last week week when each day his folder came home with NO HOMEWORK in it.  LOL. The kid is wanting homework-too funny.  He was excited to see his old school friends again and excited to be one of the "big kids" in his class this year beings that it is his second year in Pre-K and all.

Lane ("BIG BABY" as the daycare kids will call him) is doing well -minus all of the bumps and bruises he has been getting lately. He is really into everything now...every cabinet, drawer, toy, appliance....he's in it all -all of the time. He's not been the best sleeper lately which is really frustrating. He was doing so amazingly well there for the longest time until this teething thing happened. I just can't seem to let him cry it out when I know there is a HUGE possibility he is crying because his poor little teeth hurt. No, I can't say for certain he is crying for that reason but the fact that there is a possibility makes me feel horrible when the idea of letting his cry it out crosses my mind. Which is odd because I didn't even hesitate to let Grant CIO -not for a second but this time around I am so not about it. Could it be that Lane is already seeing the benefits of being the "baby" and the last child? Will this decision to hold him and rock him back to sleep instead of CIO lead to yet another decision that pampers him -which all in turn will lead him to be a spoiled little kid? Who knows. And at this point, I don't really care. I just can't do it this time-at least not at this current time...maybe another month of 5-6hrs or total sleep at night may change my mind. Check with me in a month or two and I seriously  may tell you something different. Isn't it crazy to think about how you are molding your baby into the child they become. I often times wonder if Grant's semi-shyness is a direct correlation to how I parented him as a baby...or if his annal attentive nature came from heredity ( and he just takes after his mother) or if it was a decision or a collection of decisions I made as a mother early in his life.  Ummmm....makes me wonder. Do other people thinks these things too or just me?  Ok -whoa I need to stop this blog now before it gets any deeper. Deep thoughts by Dana Fricke will return next time.  Until then PEACE

No comments: