Monday, January 9, 2012

Just Words

I am finally able to type actual words into my blog instead of just posting pictures.  I love love love my new baby carrier it allows me to be hands free and do things I wasn't able to do before all while still having little Lane close to me.  I was able to frost cupcakes, do laundry, order pictures on line and sort through his closet all while holding him in the carrier. Awesome!

It's been so long since I have typed that I have no idea where to start. It has been such a busy couple of months for us. Lane was born in November and soon after that all of the Christmas festivities started (programs and Christmas with family) and then my niece, Mallory was born on the 20th of December. What an experience that was! I greatly enjoyed being my sisters "coach" and being able to be there when Mallory was born. I got to cut her cord! How awesome is that? She's my little princess and I really feel like I have an extra special connection to her already -maybe because I was there when she took her first breath or maybe it is because of how close I am with my sister that it's just a given that I will feel close with her -or maybe it's because I don't have (and wont have) a little girl of my own so I am going to claim her as the daughter I never had. Whichever it is...I am loving it.  I can't wait to spoil her rotten and continue to buy her sweet little girly clothes.

Christmas was nice. Grant got everything he wanted from Santa plus soooooo much more. The odd thing is, I think "Santa" had planned on him getting all these new toys to actually PLAY with.  He has barely played with his new things...all he wants to do is be read to (which I shouldn't complain about I guess) and rough house with Jason.  Really? I guess I should add that he WILL play with them just not alone. He has to have someone constantly playing with him! And since I kind of have my hands full with a newborn it rarely takes place that we just have uninterrupted play time.  I wish he would learn to play more by himself. I think he doesn't want to MISS anything that may be going on with Lane. Grant is all about LANE. He touches him all of the time! It's both sweet and annoying all at the same time. I am glad he has an interest but I am not happy about how much Lane gets messed with. And Grant isn't the most gentle about his touches either.  Which is also frustrating for me.

So far 2012 has not treated us well. We just got out of a four day stay at the hospital with little Lane.  Late Wednesday night/early Thursday morning Lane woke up with a 103.9 temperature.  At first I thought the thermometer had to be broken so I tried a different one and got the same reading.  I was freaked out. I got him in the bathtub and that seemed to help get his fever down temporarily. I called the on call nurse through JPA and they directed me with a nurse from St. Louis Children's Hospital who recommended that we get him to the ER as soon as possible.  So I took him the ER...where they took his blood, gave him a chest xray, took a urine sample and took his temp. Since his temp was over 102 at that time  and he is so young they said they had to give him a spinal tap to test for meningitis.  Well, they were unsuccessful with he first spinal tap so they admitted him and then had Dr. Lillpop called in to do a second.  He then got hooked up to an IV and they ran two different types of antibiotics through it.  It was the most difficult and scary thing I have witnessed in a long time. My heart broke every time he had to get "messed with" and tested. Poor little baby boy was such a trooper though. He really is a good natured little guy and it didn't seem to bother him to badly.  Well, after four and a half LONG days in the hospital we were discharged yesterday with antibiotics and instructions to schedule a sonogram of his kidney at the end of the week. It feels soooo good to be home. I just hope we can get him back to 100% without having to go back to the doctor anytime soon. And poor little Grant got shipped around all over the place. He was with Roger and Sandy the first two nights and my parents the last night.  He didn't seem to mind. In fact I think he got spoiled rotten!  Grant was sweet as sugar with them ( I hope they are telling the truth) and so that made things easier. Lane gave us huge smiles and cooed often the last few days there and I think that is what got me through it without having a meltdown.

 That's all I have right now. I hope to get on here again soon!



No comments: