Thursday, October 20, 2011

First Ever Field Trip

 Grant coloring with his buddy-Bronc. (such a sweet little friend to have) I am very proud of Grant's selections in friends thus far.
 Cheese!
 on the hay ride together-Grant is not especially thrilled to be having his picture taken.  Can you tell?
 Bronc gave Grant a really cool choice in gourds. Although he liked it a lot Grant didn't choose this one though.  I don't think I took a pic of the gourd he actually brought home. It was much larger, green, and looked like a goose. 
 Cutie Pie
 Loved the hay maze. He and Bronc ran through that thing so many times I think I lost count.  I would guess this to be one of his favorites. 
 Corn box fun!
 Playing with his friends.
 Loved seeing the farm cat -he played with this poor cat for a long time.  My boy sure does love animals!


 Whole Class Picture. Boy was that interesting! 
Such cute little kids aren't they? 


So this past week, Grant went on his first ever field trip.  Parents were invited to go as well and since my days of doing this kind of thing so easily are numbered (considering baby boy will be here soon) I decided to attend too. Grant was super excited about this.  He was PUMPED actually! And to be quite honest, so was I!  The bus ride there was a bit long for both a big ole preggo lady and little ones but I passed the time -chatting it up with Grant's teacher (Elisha).  She is such a sweet person and every time I talk to her I feel most fortunate to have such a kind hearted and caring person working with my child everyday.  The field trip was to Bomke's Pumpkin Patch near Pleasant Plains. This was the first year they have ever tried a pumpkin patch (they have Christmas tree sales and Christmas activities in the winter that they have done for a while but never a pumpkin patch). They have been so successful that they actually had to shut down to the public about a week into October because they were quickly running out of supplies.  They held enough pumpkins and such back for the field trips so that was a relief -otherwise the trip would have been called off.  When we got there...the kiddos got to color and eat popcorn and drink apple juice. Then they split into two groups...our group took a hay ride to the gourd and pumpkin patch to choose one of each.  This was fun to watch-and interesting to see which ones the kids chose!  Then we were taken to the pasture across the road so the kids could watch the owners of the farm feed the cattle.  This was a huge hit with the kids...we were just so close to the cows it was hard not to be impressed!  Then we played in the corn box and the hay maze. This was Grant's favorite- I do believe. Although it was a brisk 43 degrees out -I think Grant walked away from that activity actually sweating!  He then got to feed the goats and chickens.  Following that- it was time to get a group picture...oh boy was that interesting. With that many little ones all wanting something different -it took a while to organize.  Grant was one of them who made it difficult. I don't know what it is with him and pictures but when it's just he and I -he does excellent but when there are more than two or three other people present he clams up and strongly dislikes it.  Then it was time for lunch.  We each had to pack our own brown bag sack lunch for the trip. What was I thinking...packing me the same size lunch for myself as Grant???!!! I ate my lunchable in like two seconds and I honestly think my stomach considered that a light appetizer because I was still so hungry after eating that I really wanted to bribe some of the kiddos for their lunches....hahahaha.  Then it was back on the bus and back to school. Grant and I had a great time.  He was very well behaved -which of course he should be even more behaved with me there but actually that didn't hold true with all the kids. There were some kids that had their parents there -who I honestly think may have acted worse because of it! I was seriously floored by some of the lack of attention/discipline some parents gave to their children while on the trip! Again, maybe it's my background in psychology or maybe my analness but I was seriously disturbed by some of the lack of connection I saw!  I mean come on-you take the day off of work (or not if you are a stay at home person like myself) to come and hang out with your kid and you're not even sitting with them on the bus or talking to them on the hayride/during the activities?!  There was a time when I even felt the need to correct someone elses child (a big NO NO I agree and not something that will necessarily make me any friends-but I couldn't let Grant get hit in the face with flying corn kernels one more time!)  The parent was sitting right there--appearing to be observing this behavior but not saying/doing anything so after three times of nonchalantly mentioning how "we shouldn't throw corn at people" I eventually had to tell the child more harshly and directly.  Pretty sad that I felt I needed to do so because to me....that is the parents responsibility not some random like myself.  But hey-whatcha gonna do?  I am not the perfect parent...and I will never...ever...ever...claim myself to be but COME ON PEOPLE! WAKE UP!!!!! Your child needs you-your attention- and your discipline!!!!!! Good golly.  Ok...off of my soap box for now. 
I really am excited to watch this class grow up together...they really are cute, sweet, fun kids!  I love pre-k! Probably even more than Grant -if that's possible! And I loved attending Grant's first ever field trip!




No comments: