Friday, August 19, 2011

Too Cool for School


Too Cool for School-That's what Grant thinks he is anyways. This next week will be bitter sweet for me...on one hand the house will be much more quite and calm now that all the daycare kids will be back in school during the daytime but it also marks the last official week of it just being me and Grant. It also marks the last official week of my baby boy still being my baby and not a school-aged kid. Ugh, he's really going to be in Pre-school?! Yep, not next Monday but the following. I think he has mixed feelings about it. There are times when I think he is super excited about going but most of the time he just flat out says, "no, Mom, I am not going to go to school- I am going to stay here with you!" Today, his buddy, Kyle gave him a "get excited about going to school" gift...(a bag filled with suckers, coloring book, coloring crayons, and a handmade card). After this I saw a glimmer of hope as he got excited about getting to ride the bus with his friends in the morning but then said..."i want to ride the bus with my friends but I don't want to ride it to school-just to you Mom." Ughhhhh. I have tried to talk to him about what it would be like, Grandma Fricke got him some books about going to pre-school, I have made a picture schedule for him (pictures explaining what his mornings will soon be like) and I have posted a bus count-down picture for him to count down the number of days until he gets to ride the school bus. His teacher, Miss Elisha, will be making a home visit here this next Monday. Grant seems excited about this...but we will see how he reacts when Monday gets here. He is officially a MORNING PRE-K kid which is exactly what I wanted -beings that I think it will make for a better transition if he gets to go to school with all of the daycare kids in the mornings PLUS I still think he really needs to hang on to his afternoon naps...at least for another year. I am extremely nervous and excited for him -I have known Miss Elisha for several years and I KNOW she is a fantastic teacher so I am sure (with time) all will be fine. It's the anticipation that has me stressed...let's just do it already...kind of like ripping off a band-aid I wish we could just do it and get over with already. So, any of you who are reading this right now-please send us your prayers! I think we (at least I will) need them! I will keep you posted on how things go! Stay tuned!

No comments: