Monday, February 28, 2011

Birthday Prep

Ok, my head is spinning from all of the birthday planning thoughts going on in my brain right now. I have Grant's party pretty well mapped out ....I think...I hope. I ordered everything on line and received about 95% of everything already. I have the cake lined up-and I am super excited about it. Actually, I gave this job to Vicki and she nailed it...ok you may have read that wrong. Vicki is no baker, nor did she take up some new crazy hobby of baking birthday cakes but she does know just the right people for almost every situation. She hooked me up with a girl we went to High School with who is going to do Grant's cake for us. :) I have the decorations -and food planned all I need now is a GIFT. Oh and it's gotta be a good one because this will be Grant's GOLDEN BIRTHDAY. Turns 3 on the 3rd...and you only get one GOLDEN BIRTHDAY in your life so I want it to be good. Just can't decide if we get him a big item or lots and lots of smaller gifts. Decisions- Decisions.

But before Grant's big day is Jay's big day...actually a week from today is his birthday. Unfortunately I think Jay may be one of the most difficult people to buy for especially if you are his wife. Jason is a very frugal man so whenever I have the most perfect gift in mind for him it gets squashed by that little voice inside of my head that screams, "no, Dana, don't do it, don't buy it...it will be the worst gift ever because he will look at the price tag and hit the floor." It's hard to buy for someone who doesn't like to spend money...and it's hard not to buy him something because everyone needs a gift on their birthday! When asked what he wants he always replies,"don't get me anything" which confuses the hell out of me because some people say that to be modest but they really do wish to have something...and some people (Jason) really means it because he wants to pinch the pennies and not spend. So what's a girl to do? Well, he finally gave me something to tell my mom (who has been asking me what he would like) and he said a gift card to Home Depot so he can get a new grill. We threw ours out with the trash this past fall because he had become a hunk of junk....so there it is....i will get him a grill....or actually since his money is my money and mine his...WE will be getting him a grill. So I can check that off the list.

I didn't want to run the risk of sounding totally narcissistic so I choose to talk about Jay and Grant's gifts first but I am also worried about what to tell Jason I want...which actually translates into me buying it myself but it being his gift from him to me. I don't know if I want to buy a Sleep Number pillow or a Miche purse. I slept on Vicki's Sleep Number pillow at her house one time and fell in love with it....and with my back/neck problems I think it would do wonders for me...however it's a large pill to swallow as those things aren't cheap! My other option would be a new purse. I love handbags but rarely buy them anymore because WHY? I don't ever really go anywhere now that I am a stay at home Mom. I mean, really...do I need a cutie purse to wear out when I hit up my weekly shopping trips to Walmart or Girls Night's at the movies (where it's dark and no one can see my bag anyway)? No...but do I still think they are great...Yes! Just a line from the Miche brochure....."Miche Bag is a unique new concept in designer handbags...using interchangeable out shells, women have the versatility to change the look and feel of their purse without removing its contents." Ummmmm...so maybe I will turn it back over to Jason to decide. That's fair right...since either would be great gifts -he can't fail...and then that way I don't have to make yet another birthday decision. brilliant -I tell ya-brilliant.

No comments: