Friday, May 1, 2015

Proud Trojan Mama

Before the Writing Talent Search Ceremony

My other little (soon-to-be) Trojan wanted his picture taken too

Dance moves for the camera

Ken Bradbury and his students did an Improv performance before the ceremony

Grant got pulled out of the audience to participate

Poor kid, he didn't have a clue what Improv was and seemed so confused about what to do

Grant was the "golden monkey" that everyone had been searching for. So funny to watch


Now, he is Godzilla. The look on his face is priceless


Bad sushi -everyone was sick. If I could caption this- Grant: "what the heck is sushi?"

Again, priceless picture. He was truly clueless and definitely out of his comfort zone.

Selfie-this one he got spot on

Ken Bradbury- what a brilliant mind! Always impressed with his work. Lane leaned over during the performance and said, "that guy is crazy!" Lol

Getting his award-2nd place in first and second grade prose

Proud moment. Jeff Stephens (Regional Office of Education Superintendent) with Grant after the ceremony

Grant got to choose a place to go to have a celebratory dinner. He of course chose his favorite place in the world right now...Buffalo Wild Wings. This is him -eating and enjoying the Cardinals game. Didn't hear a word out of him-so into every play.
Grant's story

A few weeks ago Grant's teacher informed us that Grant and three other Triopia students had been selected as winners of the writing talent search this year. A few days later, we received a letter int he mail to inform us that we were invited by the Regional Office of Education to their Writing Talent Search Ceremony. We were of course so proud of Grant and thought he'd be beaming with pride as well but when I shared the news with him he informed me that he had already known. He said with a smile, "oh yeah, I already know about that" and then he turned and ran off to play. I later asked him how he had already known and he said that Mrs. Hurrlebrink told him at school a few days prior. I asked him why he didn't share his exciting news with us and he replied, "uh, I don't know, sorry." Lol. Although, as the ceremony date approached his excitement increased. Anyways, we couldn't be more proud of his accomplishments but we know his achievements could not be possible without the staff and teachers at Triopia Grade School. Most of you already know this but prior to choosing to be a stay-at-home-mom and daycare provider I did counseling work through Mental Health Centers of Central Illinois. Often time my services took place inside the school setting therefore I was fortunate enough to see first hand how each of the surrounding schools operated. I served children from ages 3-18 so this meant that I saw not only pre-k programs and grade schools but also junior high and high schools. I will never forget my first experience walking through the doors at Triopia grade school (mind you this was before I had children) I saw very tidy, organized and quiet halls. Halls covered in art work that the students had made. The art displayed were really just giant words painted on poster board and hung on the walls above the lockers. But they weren't just any words...they were powerful words. Words like, "ENCOURAGE, TEAMWORK, PRIDE, HONESTY and RESPECT" (obviously, I don't remember all of the words I saw as it was nearly 9 years ago, but I do recall how I felt when I was there. I felt inspired and also proud of the administrators for making such an impression. The words wouldn't have stuck out as much to me if the atmosphere was contradictory of those select words. But that was not the case. It was as though those seemingly random words that hung above the students lockers actually meant something to each of them. It was as though they were trying to prove to themselves and each other that those words were characteristics of themselves. The students didn't talk in the hallways unless of course it was a sign of respect such as saying, "excuse me" when a bump in would occur or to offer a helping hand to someone who just dropped the contents of their backpacks on the floor. Everyone seemed to know what their purpose and role was and everyone seemed to have the drive to follow it. It was as those each student was his very own well greased wheel turning and turning to do his job to collectively create a smooth operation. This was a stark comparison to some of the other schools I regularly went into. Not to say that each of the other schools didn't have their own unique positive attributes as well. I just felt that Triopia was a school that I knew I wanted to send my future children to. I feel most fortunate and blessed that my desire to have my children in this school district was realized. Teachers do not get enough praise as they deserve. I notice how much the teachers want the best for the children in their classrooms. I've seen first hand how bars are set higher when achievements are met. Grant's teachers have never just settled for "good enough" or "met criteria" in fact they have done the opposite of settle. They have pushed and encouraged Grant to go above and beyond what is just expected. They have taught him that you are never done learning and just because you have mastered one level it does not mean you just "hang out" for the remainder of the quarter it means you move on to the next step. They have taught him so much more than just all things academic. Daily, I hear stories that prove they are teaching integrity, responsibility, and most importantly compassion. For all of those reasons Triopia is a school that I feel confident in and proud of. I'm excited to see what the future holds for Grant and Lane in the remainder of their time spent in school. And although I, myself did not attend Triopia schools as a child I feel as though I have just as much Trojan pride than those who have!

No comments: