Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Potty Party!!!!!!!

 Not a good picture but this is Lane throwing his diapers in the air and saying, "no more diapers." This was Friday night- Day 1 of our three day long Potty Party.
 Reading books by the potty- this is seriously what we did most of the weekend. That and playing farm and magnatiles.
 He is showing Rider- (the main character on Paw Patrol) his pee in the potty. 
 Checking out his sticker chart
This is Lane with his really really FULL sticker chart. Each sticker represents a successful pee or poop in the potty. This was on Saturday or Sunday -now we have started a whole new sheet. Oh and the other picture is of the PAW PATROL. Lane has become obsessed with this show...that and Peter Rabbit
Okay-yes he tried wearing his potty as a hat- I blame this on the book "Ruby's Potty" because she does that in the story.  Oh my!
 This is his third poop in the potty but each time he is equally excited and proud- this is the one he didn't want to flush.


 Since potty training he has decided to sleep in his big boy bed and not his crib. He looks so big to me now.



For some time now Lane has shown lots of interest in using the potty-he enjoyed watching all of us use the bathroom (especially Grant) and talked about "pee" and "poop" quite a bit. So, Jason and I decided that we needed to cease the moment and just take the plunge and start potty training. So we marked the calendar -being careful to choose three days that we didn't have anything scheduled-nowhere to go and nothing to do. We then started to talk about it ALOT. We watched a potty training movie with Lane and told him that soon we were going to have a POTTY PARTY! I told him that this "party" would be tons of fun and that we would have juice, chips,(we don't normally keep juice or chips in stock at  our house so this was enticing to him) and lots of snacks. I told him that we would have balloons and we would spend lots of time playing, reading books and most importantly learning to use the potty.
So we planted the seed and marked the calendar. Then we made a PLAN. All things are so much better with a well thought out, well constructed plan.  Since I have done this before with Grant I felt confident in my ability to properly train Lane. I figured since the method we used with Grant proved to be pretty successful I would just go with the same method with Lane. The method I am referring to is the POTTY TRAINING IN THREE DAYS method.  I refreshed my memory a bit by researching it on the web and pinterest and all of the details quickly came flooding back into my memory.  So, I had my plan now I needed my LIST. You who know me well -know that I LOVE LISTS!!!
My Potty Training List consisted of the following:
books about potty training-we had a couple here but new ones are always fun so we checked some out at the library
candy (lots and lots of candy of all variety)
stickers
potty training sticker chart
"big boy underwear"-I bought the 5 pack of Thomas the Train
pull-ups (*ONLY FOR NAPS AND NIGHT)
poop prizes (I bought a bunch of $1 things from the dollar store-play dough, bouncy balls, and other random things)
Potty chair- we already had ours out and in the bathroom for months so I didn't need to do anything here
balloons- to make it look like a party
juice and fun snacks- juice is very very important- or at least lots and lots of fluids of some sort
(added to this list of things needed to potty train- PRAYERS!!! I prayed on it a lot. I asked our Father to help me be the best mother and teacher I could be during this season and I asked him to be with Lane to calm his fears help with any anxieties he may have. I asked for the ability to remain calm and not get upset when accidents occurred (IT'S VERY IMPORTANT TO NOT GET UPSET OR FRUSTRATED ABOUT ACCIDENTS) and asked him to allow me to totally free my schedule and give me the ability to give all of my time and attention to Lane). 

We got everything on the list- this party started early as I wasn't planning on having it until Saturday but Lane had other plans....he decided he wanted to try to start potty training on Friday night- so I rolled with it. We took out all of the things on the list and we took out a big ole trash bag. We threw the diapers up in the air and yelled, "no more diapers!" He loved doing this and I bet we did it about thirty times. He then helped me fill the trash bag with the diapers and I explained to him that from now on he was a big boy and didn't need diapers anymore because we were going to learn to put our pee and poop in the potty.  He was very receptive to this and started right away- he sat on the potty and went !!! Now I will add that I did not leave his side for three days straight. Like literally right by his side all day every day. We played we read...he came with me everywhere I went and so did his potty chair. This is a must when potty training because then you can be there to watch and catch any cues he may be giving that he has to go. For a while you just watch and see-does he do a pee pee dance and squirm around or get that look on his face that indicants something is about to happen. I figured every half hour or forty minutes I would ask him if he had to go and reminded him to go on the potty.  He went three times in the potty and went once on the floor that night. That night we put him in a pull up and told him how special pull ups were but that we could only wear them at nap time and night time. All other times he would be naked from the waist down. YEP I SAID NAKED!!! All weekend long and into Monday we let him go without pants and underwear. He was so successful with this it almost amazed me. Saturday he had two accidents but did poop in the potty and Sunday he went all day long with no accidents!!!!! Things were looking so good....until we decided that he couldn't just run around naked as a jaybird in front of the daycare kiddos and put big boy undies on him. This took some getting used to-right out of the gate he peed in them three times in a row.  I think this was mostly because he couldn't quite figure out how to get his underwear down by himself. Prior to underwear he would like to run to the other room and go potty by himself and then come show us that he went. Now that he was in underwear and couldn't get them down by himself he couldn't do it privately and independently like he was doing before. So we worked on practicing getting our undies down by himself and we talked about how until he learns to get them to come down by himself that he would need to tell me when he has to go potty so I can help him get his pants down. This has seemed to work well. From the beginning we took the potty with us wherever we went...if we were in the playroom playing- the potty came with us. If we were in the living room reading books- the potty came with us. If we were in the kitchen - so was the potty. We are STILL doing this at least until he gets everything down pat. And from the beginning we gave him a sticker and candy for every time he peed on the potty. His candy of choice are dinner mints or heresy kisses. If he poops on the potty he gets two stickers, candy  and a "poop prize." He seemed so uninterested in his "poop prizes" so that either means I picked out crappy (no pun intended) "poop prizes" or he just could care less about prizes because he loves CANDY so much. He is most proud of himself when he goes poop in the potty-today it literally took me ten minutes to convince him to flush his poop. He kept saying, "keep this one, my like it" or "looks like a snowman Mommy- keep this one," "no flush him" "take picture of my snowman." Oh my!! I finally told him that his "snowman" (poop) wanted to go swimming-this worked and he agreed to flush him.  From the beginning we always let him empty the potty and flush it good bye-he seems to love doing this step so we let him- even though it's a scary thing to let a two year old who is still mastering coordination to be in charge of a bowl full of pee and trust him to WALK to the toilet to flush it and not to RUN.  Two year olds are funny little people...yesterday he threw a holy fit because he didn't want to take his pull up off after he had woken up that morning. I threw it away and told him that it was time to put on his big boy undies. He cried and begged to have him pull up back. I DIDN'T GIVE IN! Jason and Grant on the other hand were caving and caving fast. They both were trying to convince me to just give him a new pull up! NO! NO! NO! When you are trying to teach anyone anything the key to it all (in my opinion) is CONSISTENCY! We told him pull ups are for naps and night and it was clearly morning...what a way to send mix messages and confuse the hell out of him than to give him a fresh pull up at 6 am. NOPE , this Mama wasn't having it. I remained calm and composed and explained over and over that pull ups are for nap and night and big boy undies are for daytime. I told him that he could have a pull up if he agreed to go back to bed. He quickly declined that offer! HA! But then what does he do that same evening? Threw a fit about having to put a pull up on at night time- he wanted to wear his big boy undies to bed. Oh my gosh he just couldn't make up his mind I guess....but again, I stood firm and didn't give in and we went to bed with a pull up on. He got over his little fit within a few minutes so really if you are in this situation ever please please please just DON'T GIVE IN!!!! I think it could be one of the biggest most damaging thing a parent could do during potty training. If you are going to potty train-decide that is what you are doing and don't look back (unless it is clear that your child isn't ready or isn't getting it) because then it would be like un-doing everything you accomplished the past few days. He has been overall very successful-there has been a day or two that he has had more accidents but that's going to happen. This is all new to him and he's still trying to get it all figured out.  I think we are well on our way. I 'll keep ya posted.  And if you are one of those parents out there thinking about or in the middle of potty training- HANG IN THERE. A week of what seems like a big pain the butt is going to be so worth it in the long run.  I think I read somewhere that after your child is potty trained you save nearly $700 a year. And just think- no more diapers or big ole diaper bags to lug around. Ahhhh! Sounds nice right?



No comments: