Finally, I have made some time for some actual thoughts and words (not just photos). So, what's been going on with us lately you ask? Grant has had an infatuation with money lately. Seriously, obsessive. He hunts for coins and dollars everywhere -glove compartments of our vehicles, our spare change jar in the kitchen, couch cushions, EVERYWHERE. For a while there we started to just give him the change we received at various stores (the coins only of course) but after a long discussion with Jason about how I disagree with how we are handling the situation as parents we have now decided that it is best if we don't just give him money anymore but make him EARN it and learn the value of $. So for the past week he has been given chores -simple ones of course (make his bed, change his clothes and clean the playroom in the evenings) and then we give him a quarter. He isn't content with just a quarter though he is always asking what other work he can do to get more $$. Today he said, "I know Mom, I can make your bed and my bed then I can get two quarters right?" Good thinking Grant but "NO." He has more money saved in his piggy bank than an average four year old should have. He is obsessed with looking at all of it too so periodically he will dump it all out and play with it, count it, stack it, sort it and look at the pictures on the backs of the (new) quarters. He's told me several times that he wants to work at the bank with Dad when he grows up. I think he would be a fantastic banker. Lately (the past month) his behavior has improved ten fold. He is the same sweet little boy I remember prior to the arrival of his little brother. So maybe he has matured over the summer or maybe it really was just a phase of adjustment he had to go through but my sweet little boy is back and I love it! He is so patient with Lane and always uses his good manners around the house and I love love love when he gives me random compliments like , "mama, you're the best mama in the whole world" or "mama, you are so pretty" or "yum I like your food -thanks for cooking it for me Mom." So sweet. He is still really into superheroes and loves to play sports. He has gotten extremely competitive over the summer months though. Ever since t-ball he has been very focused on SCORE and who is WINNING and LOSING. Which I guess comes with the territory but I wish he wasn't so competitive at such a young age...I wish he could keep his focus on FUN but maybe I can teach that with time. He is very good about shaking hands and saying, "good game" to everyone after he plays something with someone-which is actually kind of funny to watch because he is so serious about it! He is excited to go back to school and has talked about it quite a bit. His excited to have his teachers come for their home visit next week and even more excited about Book Nook and Open House tomorrow night. He's growing up way too fast-where did my little baby go?
And the baby I do have is slowly becoming not a baby too. He's been pulling up on things almost from the very moment he started to crawl (7months old) and has now really become more mobile while holding on to things. He takes several steps while holding onto furniture and such and can stand alone for several seconds without any support. He will soon be walking and I am not sure I am ready for that. He has figured out that drawers and cabinets open and have fun things inside of them. We had the house baby proofed for Grant but since then some of the safely locks have broken so he knows which ones open and which ones he shouldn't even attempt to conquer. He's a stinker. He has the silly little laugh now where he crinkles his nose and laughs through his nose instead of his mouth. It's hilarious. He likes to dance now too -when he hears music he shows us his moves and smiles. He is still working on those top teeth but I imagine they will be through any time now. It's difficult to be outside with him because he is in such an in between stage -he cant walk yet and I can't let him crawl on the hard ground (even the grass is like concrete because of this drought we are in) and he only likes to swing for a while then wants down. It's a bit frustrating but hey -this too shall pass and probably quicker than I actually want it to. I am anxious for Fall as I am sure he will be walking then and we will get to go to pumpkin patches and nature walks....oooooh I can't wait.
Jay and I are just trying to squeeze it all in. We try to give the boys our undivided attention during their awake hours but as soon as they are in bed we try to focus on ourselves and each other. We work out -and hang out together which as been really nice. Last weekend we enjoyed our patio set and sat outside under the stars and listened to some 90's music and reminisced. It was so pleasant. This weekend we plan to go to the state fair to a concert with some friends. Should be a great time! I will be sure to post more pictures soon. Until then ...
No comments:
Post a Comment