The train ride there seemed to take an eternity....I don't know if it was because I was so anxious to be at our destination or if it was because of the crazy Mexican man seated next to us who insisted on playing his ethnic music EXTREMELY loud the entire ride. Either/Or I was totally ready to get off the train. We left the train station and realized that considering Chicago had received the brunt of the storm with 20+inches of snow accumulation that the city looked surprisingly unaffected. It was a slushy mess....but all in all the city seemed to be running smoothly -which was a relief! We checked into our hotel -Hotel Felix which prides themselves as being the first and best GREEN hotel in Chicago. Our entire trip Vick and I were probably the LEAST GREEN chicks in the entire building. They had notes left in the bathroom that requested us to reuse our towels -the sink in the bathroom was extra small with an matching extremely small drain-I think was to prevent people from overusing the water. Water was one thing we definitely did over use. Vicki took hour long showers (not really but she took some long ones). We saw people carrying in recycled milk jugs filled with water! We were completely out of our element in this environment and I think it was glaringly obvious! Nice hotel-and super convenient as far as location goes. Ended up being a nice (memorable) place to stay.
We went to the mall and Filenes Basement (which I mispronounced the entire trip -as "Felines Closet") to try to find some bright colored tops to wear to the Oprah Show -with no luck we left and went straight to the Cheesecake Factory to eat. As mentioned in a previous blog-the food was amazing! We then returned to the hotel for a very low key (yet still fun) night IN. We dressed up in our matching pj's and took crazy pics of each other....we also gave each other manicures. We hit the sack early (really really early) and rested ourselves for
THE MAIN EVENT!
The next morning came early as I woke up at 4am to shower and get ready-any other day I would be cursing under my breath and wondering who in the world would think that getting up so stinkin early would be a good idea but TODAY WAS THE DAY! The day I had thought about for such a long time -the day I thought would never arrive....so I was nearly whistling Dixie out of my butt...I was so thrilled. We primped and prepped ourselves and left for our BIG O experience.
We arrived at Harpo Studios about 10 til 7:00am....we thought we would be early even if it meant we would have to stand in the fidget temps for a while (doors weren't to open until 7am). Thankfully the doors were opened and we waited in a very short line right inside the doors. We checked our coats, showed our ID's, went through the body scanner and had our purses searched. They took everything but my wallet...they took my cell phone, camera, photo album, day planner....seriously almost everything....we were given blue release forms to read and sign -each one had a number on the top. We were 97 and 98....I believe Oprah's audience holds just a bit over 300 so with that considered we weren't too far behind the early birds. After purse check we were led up the stairs to a holding room...where we were sat in chairs extremely close to one another. Vicki and I were once again JUICED! My cheeks hurt from all the grinning I was doing. My nerves were getting the best of me as my hands were seriously shaking and I was having some other more private and personal issues with my body as well -Vicki knows my secret but it's nothing I want to write on my blog (Just call me B.E.D -Vic). Anyways since this was Vicki's second trip to the Oprah Show she was filling me in on what to expect and what was about to happen. She says, "once they take us to the studio you won't be allowed to go to the bathroom so if you have to go you'd better go before they call us in." We decided on 7:40 as the official bathroom break...but me, for the first time in my life, break the schedule and go 5 minutes early!!!!! I am the only one down stairs in the bathroom when I heard crazy -out of control- screaming. I knew something must be going on...I attempted to go back up the stairs to the holding room but was told by staff that I had to remain downstairs until they were done talking. I had thought in my head that maybe they were finally being seated and this thrilled people but when I they finally allowed me to pass and go back to my seat I find out from Vicki that MISS OPRAH WINFREY herself and come in to talk to everyone while I was in the bathroom!!!!! What? Are you serious? I missed it? Yep, so apparently it went something like this:
Oprah-"So I have some bad news."
Crowd-moan in unison
Oprah-"well, it's not that bad."
Crowd-screaming and cheering
Oprah-"in 25 years this has never happened -that our guest is not here for a show but Jennifer Hudson decided to go to Dallas last night and now she is held up in the blizzard there."
Crowd-moan in unison
Oprah-"don't worry, she's in route now and will be here in a few hours so we are going to just keep you all here, feed ya, entertain ya, and have some fun."
Crowd-screaming and cheering.
Oprah exits as I reenter the room. Vicki said she had no make up on and was in her sweats and she thought for certain she had the flu or something and was going to cancel. So we wait for a while longer in the holding room. Groups of super Jennifer Hudson fans started to stand up and lead the group in some of Jen's songs -one being Spotlight. Then there was the voice over the loud speaker informing us that they would be calling the VIP parties first. She rambled off name after name until there it was! "Victoria Selby Party!" We were the last VIP party to be called and my stomach hit the floor....I was extremely excited at this point. I saw the glares of envy from the other women in the holding room and we passed by to take our place in the studio. We not only got called as VIP but we were led right to the front row. More specifically front , left row. There was no one on my right -just the stage. I could seriously touch the stage. And I did! And there was no one to Vicki's left either...just stage! INSANE! Your are kidding me right? VIP -FRONT ROW? WHAT? So we got our food -Vicki and I opted for the fruit dish and granola bar as we could not even think about eating at the point. I didn't want to eat and then ralph all over the stage during the show. So we sat there in awe...still grinning..maybe screaming at this point. Then they gave us the PRE SHOW -which I am sure since Jennifer Hudson was delayed we got the extra extended version of this. We played Kareoprah (Oprah form of karaoke). We watched as studio audience members came up on stage and preformed for us.
Song List: Proud Mary, I Will Always Love You, How Will I Know, Like A Virgin, and Man I Feel Like A Woman. There were two very horrible performances -but the remaining three were suburb! Excellent and entertaining! After KareOprah was complete they have the "PUMP UP GIRL" as Vicki and I like to call her -come out and get us completely JACKED by telling us that we are at OPRAH'S SEASON 25 (FINAL SEASON) SHOW. They blare some crazy music on the loud speaker- Black Eyed Peas -I GOT A FEELING and Ushers song - OH MY GOSH! Instead of Oh, Oh, Oh, My Gosh we all cheered, "OH, OH, OH, OPRAH!" And then................................................
THERE SHE WAS! WALKING TOWARD US WAVING! Vicki and I had to look like idiots because there we stood waving back to her like little school girls. I never quite understood how people could get so excited that they cry, faint, shake, and go utterly insane. But now, I understand! I had now become one of those chics. You know the one, the one that you really want to just slap because she looks so nutty. Yep, that was me. And she just kept walking closer and closer and then she sat and chatted with all of us. She looked exactly the way she does on TV and she was actually very funny.
(to be continued....)
No comments:
Post a Comment